Get Connected with Washington County DBD

If you are LAUNCHING a business...

By the time you're ready to launch your business, your research, marketing analysis, and a thorough business plan should be completed. The business must now comply with Federal, State and local registration and licensing.

Online processes are offered by the Federal and State agencies responsible for overseeing these operations. Additional assistance can always be obtained from the Small Business Development Center (SBDC) or Hagerstown local chapter of SCORE.

Tax Requirements

To obtain a Federal Employer Identification Number for a business, visit the Federal Government website.

The next step—the state tax registration process—can begin by visiting the Comptroller of Maryland's website. Once the business is registered with the State of Maryland taxation department, it is also entered into the tax systems of local jurisdictions; therefore, no additional paperwork is required during this step.

State Requirements for Business Structure

If the business structure is a Corporation, Limited Liability Company, Limited Partnership or Limited Liability Partnership, visit the Maryland Department of Assessments & Taxation to register the business entity and obtain business personal property tax information. Sole Proprietorships or General Partners comply with local licensing and taxation, but require a different registration form found here.

Licensing and Permitting

To determine licensing and permitting requirements, visit Maryland's Business License Information System (BLIS), which will reveal all the information necessary to open a business in Maryland. The website is organized to find licensing information by keyword search, industry category, or by county.

Local Requirements for Business Licenses

Most business licenses may be obtained from the Washington County Clerk of the Circuit Court. Contact the Circuit Court Clerk's Office at (301) 790-7991 for more details.

Zoning Certification

For property located outside the city limits of Hagerstown, contact the Washington County Permitting Department, at 240-313-2460 or email at

For property located inside the city limits of Hagerstown, contact City of Hagerstown Planning Department, at 301-739-8577 ext. 138, or email at

100 W Washington St., Suite 1401
Hagerstown, MD 21740
Driving Directions


Fill out our contact form